Download our brochure

QUINTA DO SAGRADO

PRODUCER: QUINTA DO SAGRADO                                                                                                        

LOCATION: DOURO VALLEY


View Larger Map

HISTORY:

 

António Calem

man1

António Calem Júnior

man2

Joaquim Calem

man3

1829-1894

1860-1932

1895-1977

 

José Calem

man4

Joaquim Manuel Calemman5

José Maria Calemman6

1897-1972

1923-2006

1950

Ever since the early part of the 19th Century, members of the Calem family have concentrated on trade with Brazil; they owned ships which mainly transported Wine to Brazil and brought wood to Portugal. Upon realizing that much of the wood was used in the barrel-making industry, António Alves Calem (born in 1829) founded a cooperage in a warehouse next to the D. Luís bridge in Vila Nova de Gaia.

In 1859 he made his son António Alves Calem a partner, and founded A.A. Calem & Filho, Lda. After starting to produce Port wine in the Douro, the company grew rapidly, and integrated Porto Wine, barrels and transportation to the important Brazilian market into its business. The purchase of Quinta da Foz and Quinta do Sagrado, both in the Pinhão area, occurred in the 19th Century.

His son António Calem junior developed the business even further. An important figure in Porto at the time, a federal deputy, President of the Commercial Association of Porto and President of the Misericórdia do Porto institution, he recovered a large part of his inheritance after it was confiscated during the Republic. Amongst his sons who were directors of the company were Joaquim Calem on the commercial and management side and José Joaquim Calem, responsible for the technical side. They went through a difficult period during the 2nd World War, but continued to develop their business, mainly in the national market.

The fourth generation was represented by Joaquim Manuel Calem, who was responsible for the Association of Port Wine Exporters at the time of the Revolution on 25th April 1974, having dealt with the issues facing the sector during this time. Having sold A.A. Calem & Filho, Lda in 1977, the family retained the Quintas in the Douro.

Now representing the fifth generation, José Maria Calem is developing the Douro DOC Wine business, whilst also ensuring the continuity of the 6th generation and maintaining the tradition of producing Porto Wine.

Many years, many good times and bad, but they all have one point in common: a preoccupation with Quality and the love of the Douro and its Wine.

image11
It has belonged to the Calem family (now in its 5th and 6th generations) for about 150 years, and before that was owned by the A.A. Calem & Filho, Lda. company. When it started, there were neither trains nor tanker-trucks, so it was designed to receive the Port wines produced at the Quinta and at the Region’s other landholdings, and from there transport them via barge (known as Barco Rebelo, owned by the Monteiro de Bitetos family at Alpendurada), to the main warehouses on Diogo Leite Avenue in Vila Nova de Gaia.

Along the Douro River there are some original houses which enjoy a privileged location. A rehabilitation project is in progress which, once completed will allow the Quinta to receive its business partners, introducing them to the Douro and offering wine tastings.

The Quinta do Sagrado, located on the right bank of the Douro River, 500m from Pinhão in the heart of the Upper Douro, has 17 hectares of vines planted on terraces, reconverted in 1986 under the PDRITM (Tras-os-Montes Rural Development Programme). Notably, the 1986 one was the third in this line of financing from the World Bank.

On the Terraces, the varieties are planted in blocks and since the varieties planted during the 1980s were chiefly chosen with Port wine in mind, a system of grafting by budding has been used in order to adapt the vineyard to the production of Red wine.

The Quinta currently has 19,825 Touriga Nacional vines, 10,768 Touriga Franca, 12,444 Tinta Roriz, 4,151 Tinto Cão, 4,719 Tinta Barroca, 665 Sousão and 2,174 Rufete. Everything the Quinta produces is Class A, the maximum classification awarded in the Demarcated Douro Region. In fact, all its wines are made using Class A grapes.

On the Terraces, some of the work is mechanized, namely earth-moving, pruning and phytosanitary measures.

Experiments have been made planting vegetables between the rows, no fertilizer is used (only mineral correction of the soil), and the crop is only not organic due to the fact that it is necessary to control pests on the slopes which are very specific to the Douro. There is a strong focus on preserving the environment. From the beginning, Quinta Sagrado has employed Integrated Production.

All the harvesting is carried out manually, with a rigorous selection of the grapes which are immediately transported to the tanks in aerated 20kg boxes. In addition to the 17 hectares of vines, the Quinta also has an olive grove and orchards. The same principles of quality rather than quantity that are applied to the growing of grapes are used in the wine-making.